Hi there! Thanks for stopping by our job advert. We’re Community Fibre and our mission is to bring better internet to everyone. You won’t find any old and slow copper technology here, our network is full fibre and that’s directly to our customers so whether you’re a gamer, you have lots of data hungry family members or you love to chill out and download a movie we will have a package for you.
The clue is in our name and we love working with local communities in London. We want to bridge the digital divide in society and make internet accessible to all. We also love when we can welcome residents from the local community becoming team members of CFL, over 20% of our talent is from local communities that we serve.
We are not the new kid on the block, we were established in 2013 and some of our key achievements since then include:
- Raised £400m investment from large institutions.
- Acquired over 360,000 wayleaves across Local Authorities, Housing Associations and Private Landlords.
- Deployed our full fibre infrastructure to over 100,000 premises.
So far we’re proud of our achievements and we are doing a great job disrupting the broadband industry but we are definitely not stopping here. To help us we’re looking for forward thinkers, people with big ideas, people passionate about technology and most importantly hard workers to join us and help support our growing business.
We’re looking for enthusiastic, reliable and bright candidates with a network engineering background to help us to build our network faster and continue our dedication to making our customers happy.
The critical nature of the infrastructure will require you to work both quickly and carefully and be available to provide 24-hour support as part of a team rota. You will need to thrive in a varied and sometimes chaotic environment. Be able to provide support to customer service teams, configure and install network equipment, design new services and contribute to our network architecture.
You will join a team of extremely dedicated engineers, and you will quickly develop your personal and technical skills in line with the current trends in the networking industry - Learning automation, programming, cloud and furthering your existing networking skills.
What you’ll be doing:
- Liaise with support teams and support customer services in troubleshooting customer issues and ensure network SLAs are always upheld.
- Design, test, implement and operate an end-to-end internet infrastructure (CPE, Access, Core, Internet, and Services).
- Proactively monitor network incidents and report the status and performance of the core network.
- Carry out network impacting changes by following change management processes to ensure proposed changes do not compromise our network availability.
- Handling escalation of faults reported from Tier 2 and drive through to resolution.
- Be pro-active, and able to manage your own workload without much oversight from management.
- Maximise network performance, capacity management and collaborate with senior engineers on network optimisation.
- Network engineering - Configuration of OLTs/routers etc.
- Create troubleshooting document for network and customer services and to allow Tier 1 and Tier 2 to perform initial troubleshooting.
- Swiftly diagnose and resolve faults on network equipment, and have a thorough understanding of the underlying physical network design and operation.
- Develop new, and support existing, network systems running in virtual and cloud environments.
- Utilise open-source systems and tools to improve network capabilities.
- Part of a 24/7 on call team in a 4-weekly rota.
The experience we’re looking for you to bring:
- Prior use of PON, FTTH network (highly desirable).
- A thorough understanding of systems and network automation (desirable).
- A thorough track record working as a network engineer, ideally with a service provider network with cabinet or exchange builds.
- Prior creation of standardised designs and enforcing these in use across a network.
- Use of network equipment such as Cisco/Juniper/Huawei.
- In-depth knowledge of application, transport, and network layer protocols.
- Prior use of Linux servers.
- Desire to work in an agile, start-up environment and go the ‘extra mile’ to support our delivery of a great customer experience.
- Be a self-starter who is driven to complete their tasks whether working as a team or autonomously.
- Be open, honest, and transparent.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- A love of learning and developing new skills.
Why join us:
- You get to work with some of the best technology in the market
- Be part of an exciting scale up business where you can bring your ideas, bring your knowledge, we value your contribution
- We all love time off whether that’s going on an exotic holiday or a staycation, you’ll get 25 days holiday (pro rata) to enjoy, increasing by 1 day for each year of service up to 28 days
- Birthday leave, our treat to you
- Keen cyclist, join our cycle to work scheme
- Flexible WFH policy
- Enjoy the perks of Vitality health
- You get to work with an amazing bunch of people
What happens next:
You’ve done your bit so sit back and relax, we will review your application and come back to you.
If we think you’re not quite right for the role you have applied for but may be a better fit for another, we’ll definitely let you know.
Want to know more about a career at CFL, check out our careers page: https://communityfibre.co.uk/jobs
We are an Armed Forces friendly organisation.
We are an equal opportunities employer that values diversity in our team, we welcome applications from all backgrounds.