Hi there! Thanks for stopping by our job advert. We’re Community Fibre and our mission is to bring better internet to everyone. You won’t find any old and slow copper technology here, our network is full fibre and that’s directly to our customers so whether you’re a gamer, you have lots of data hungry family members or you love to chill out and download a movie we will have a package for you.
The clue is in our name and we love working with local communities in London. We want to bridge the digital divide in society and make internet accessible to all. We also love when we can welcome residents from the local community becoming team members of CFL, over 20% of our talent is from local communities that we serve.
We are not the new kid on the block, we were established in 2013 and some of our key achievements since then include:
- Raised £400m investment from large institutions.
- Acquired over 360,000 wayleaves across Local Authorities, Housing Associations and Private Landlords.
- Deployed our full fibre infrastructure to over 100,000 premises.
So far we’re proud of our achievements and we are doing a great job disrupting the broadband industry but we are definitely not stopping here. To help us we’re looking for forward thinkers, people with big ideas, people passionate about technology and most importantly hard workers to join us and help support our growing business.
- We’re looking for enthusiastic, reliable and bright candidates with both a software development and network engineering background to help us to continue to move towards a software defined network. We want to reduce time spent on repetitive tasks, create meaningful information from disparate data sources and work towards a fully automated access network.
- The critical nature of the infrastructure will require you to work both quickly and carefully. You will need to thrive in a varied and sometimes unstructured environment.
- You will be the Technical Design Authority for the automation and systems side of our FTTH network. You will architect, design and implement alongside acting as a technical lead for our network engineering team in relation to automation and systems.
- From an automation perspective we are looking for someone who understands python inside out. Someone who is confident using CLI scraping, SNMP, Netconf/YANG, indeed any tool at their disposal to automate network tasks.
- On the systems side we are looking for someone who firstly loves network monitoring, who has used tools such as Nagios and Grafana extensively. Someone who also wants to manage our server infrastructure both inside our DC and inside the AWS cloud, and someone who is confident in a Linux environment and in running containers and VMs.
What you’ll be doing:
- Drive the design and development efforts related to architecture, scalability, availability and performance.
- Develop and implement new approaches to automate network configurations, system health, performance monitoring tools, and software management tools.
- Lead on creating the design and development roadmap with the aim of creating a fully automated access network.
- Bring together disparate sources of data and create meaningful outputs about how the network and our customers are operating.
- Design, test, implement and operate an end to end Internet infrastructure (CPE, Access, Core, Internet and Services)
- Be pro-active, and able to manage your own workload without much oversight from management.
- Swiftly diagnose and resolve faults on network equipment, and have a thorough understanding of the underlying physical network design and operation.
- Develop new, and support existing, network systems running in virtual and cloud environments.
- Utilise open source systems and tools to improve network capabilities.
The experience we’re looking for you to bring:
- Degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
- CCNA/JNCIA, or relevant experience.
- Experience working in cloud environments (AWS preferred.)
- Experience with virtualisation platforms (proxmox and/or KVM preferred)
- Three or more years of professional experience in a network-heavy environment
- Understanding of the software development lifecycle
- Significant projects in one scripting languages (Python preferred) and one complied language (C, C++, Java, Go)
- Development of software that interacts with network or similar devices.
- Development of REST APIs using a web framework (Flask preferred)
- Source management using GitHub
- Continuous integration/deployment tools (preferably Jenkins)
- Automated system or device provisioning and orchestration using Ansible or Salt
- Development of provisioning playbooks using a templating system (Jinja2)
- Exposure to at least one network configuration protocol (NETCONF, REST-CONF, YANG/OpenConfig)
Why join us:
- You get to work with some of the best technology in the market
- Be part of an exciting scale up business where you can bring your ideas, bring your knowledge, we value your contribution
- We all love time off whether that’s going on an exotic holiday or a staycation, you’ll get 25 days holiday to enjoy, increasing by 1 day for each year of service up to 28 days
- Birthday leave, our treat to you
- Keen cyclist, join our cycle to work scheme
- Enjoy the perks of Vitality health
- You get to work with an amazing bunch of people
What happens next:
You’ve done your bit so sit back and relax, we will review your application and come back to you.
If we think you’re not quite right for the role you have applied for but may be a better fit for another, we’ll definitely let you know.
Want to know more about a career at CFL, check out our careers page: https://communityfibre.co.uk/jobs
We are an equal opportunities employer that values diversity in our team, we welcome applications from all backgrounds.