Hi there! Thanks for stopping by our job advert. We’re Community Fibre and our mission is to bring better internet to everyone. You won’t find any old and slow copper technology here, our network is full fibre and that’s directly to our customers so whether you’re a gamer, you have lots of data hungry family members or you love to chill out and download a movie we will have a package for you.
The clue is in our name and we love working with local communities in London. We want to bridge the digital divide in society and make internet accessible to all. We also love when we can welcome residents from the local community becoming team members of CFL, over 20% of our talent is from local communities that we serve.
We are not the new kid on the block, we were established in 2013 and some of our key achievements since then include:
- Raised £400m investment from large institutions.
- Acquired over 360,000 wayleaves across Local Authorities, Housing Associations and Private Landlords.
- Deployed our full fibre infrastructure to over 100,000 premises.
So far we’re proud of our achievements and we are doing a great job disrupting the broadband industry but we are definitely not stopping here. To help us we’re looking for forward thinkers, people with big ideas, people passionate about technology and most importantly hard workers to join us and help support our growing business.
- Community Fibre are looking for someone who can come in and lead our technical team. They will need to be an expert in running an FTTH access ISPs active network (core routers, routing protocols such as BGP, segment routing, ISIS, internet connectivity, OLTs, ONTs, in-home WiFi) as well as having a good understanding of passive technologies especially regarding how a PON network is built and how it operates.
- The right person will also need to have a passion for automation. They will lead a team of engineers dedicated to building a network that can scale to many thousands of customers and part of this is ensuring that everything that can be automated is automated to drive efficiencies. They will need to shape the engineering team beneath them to ensure this goal is met.
- Community Fibre utilise a cutting edge 10Gbps fibre to the home network that can offer customers a superb user experience. Getting the customers LAN running at the same quality as the WAN is the ultimate aim. The right candidate will therefore be someone who can revolutionise the experience that Community Fibre customers have of their in-home network.
- A high degree of commercial acumen is also required. The right candidate will be someone who can take a technical concept and build a business case around it, ensuring that the return on investment is clearly stated and presented in language that a non-technical audience can understand.
- Ensuring the continued working operation of the network is also key, leading the operation segment of their team to ensure we maintain 99.99% uptime on all core network equipment and managing vendors and stakeholders to resolve issues where appropriate.
- You will need to thrive in a varied and sometimes chaotic environment, able to communicate clearly and build strong working relationships with other parts of the business to ensure that Community Fibre’s technical roadmap is implemented quickly and clearly.
What you’ll be doing:
- Responsible for the technical roadmap – architecture and design.
- Responsible for the continued operation of the network, ensuring 99.99% core network uptime.
- Expected to work across the business with marketing, sales, customer experience, procurement, build etc to understand requirements and feed those into the technical design.
- Provide clear technical guidelines and designs on the active and passive networks to ensure that the network is built in a standardised way and to a high quality.
- Build business cases which clearly present where Community Fibre can improve what we do and save money.
- Be pro-active, and able to manage your own workload without much oversight
- Manage a team of 6 people directly and around 30 indirectly. The team is expected to grow quickly in size in the coming years.
The experience we’re looking for you to bring:
- Experience in PON, FTTH network critical.
- >10 years experience working for an ISP
- CCIE or JNCIE or equivalent experience.
- Strong experience and knowledge of MPLS core design and VPN services.
- Experience of leading a CPE deployment (architecture, design, deployment)
- Experience with broadband forum standards (TR-069, TR-181)
- Experience in a similar sized company in an environment of exponential growth
- In-depth knowledge and experience of application, transport, and network layer protocols.
- Exposure to cloud environments (AWS preferred)
- Source Management using gitlab
- Experience of working with Linux servers and exposure to network automation and scripting
- Desire to work in an agile, start-up environment and go the ‘extra mile’ to support our delivery of a great customer experience.
- Be open, self-starter, honest, and transparent
- Excellent attention to detail
- Love learning and developing new skills
Why join us:
- You get to work with some of the best technology in the market
- Be part of an exciting scale up business where you can bring your ideas, bring your knowledge, we value your contribution
- We all love time off whether that’s going on an exotic holiday or a staycation, you’ll get 25 days holiday to enjoy, increasing by 1 day for each year of service up to 28 days
- Birthday leave, our treat to you
- Keen cyclist, join our cycle to work scheme
- Enjoy the perks of Vitality health
- You get to work with an amazing bunch of people
What happens next:
You’ve done your bit so sit back and relax, we will review your application and come back to you.
If we think you’re not quite right for the role you have applied for but may be a better fit for another, we’ll definitely let you know.
Want to know more about a career at CFL, check out our careers page: https://communityfibre.co.uk/jobs
We are an equal opportunities employer that values diversity in our team, we welcome applications from all backgrounds.