Hi there! Thanks for stopping by our job advert. We’re Community Fibre and our mission is to bring better internet to everyone. You won’t find any old and slow copper technology here, our network is full fibre and that’s directly to our customers so whether you’re a gamer, you have lots of data hungry family members or you love to chill out and download a movie we will have a package for you.
The clue is in our name and we love working with local communities in London. We want to bridge the digital divide in society and make internet accessible to all. We also love when we can welcome residents from the local community becoming team members of CFL, over 20% of our talent is from local communities that we serve.
We are not the new kid on the block, we were established in 2013 and some of our key achievements since then include:
- Raised £400m investment from large institutions.
- Acquired over 360,000 wayleaves across Local Authorities, Housing Associations and Private Landlords.
- Deployed our full fibre infrastructure to over 100,000 premises.
So far we’re proud of our achievements and we are doing a great job disrupting the broadband industry but we are definitely not stopping here. To help us we’re looking for forward thinkers, people with big ideas, people passionate about technology and most importantly hard workers to join us and help support our growing business.
The purpose of this role is to lead on the analysis of the network build costs and reviewing these monthly, underpinned by a detailed costing methodology. It supports our business vision by understanding our network build costs in more granularity, to allow the identification of cost savings, and the projection of future spend. This is crucial to achieve our plan to build to 1m homes.
- In this role you will work within the Core Finance Team, responsible for the creation of the management accounts and supporting cost information. Working closely with Operations to understand our build spend in more detail, verifying the process to classify spend from the original network design to the final invoice.
- There will be a focus on improving our cost information as the company expends its network, ensuring the company understands its key cost drivers. This information will be used to inform the design of the network, and to identify cost savings.
What you’ll be doing:
Cost Reporting & Methodology
- Prepare monthly cost reporting and take responsibility for improving the data, in particular the tracking of fixed assets. Explaining key variances against budget for build projects.
- Update and refine the existing network build costing methodology
- Agree chart of account design with the Finance Manager, to enable automated build cost reporting
- Provide greater granularity of build costs, in particular for SDUs and our wider London network
- Work with Procurement and the Operations teams to identify cost savings. Either by identifying efficiency savings or using the cost information to inform pricing negotiations with contractors.
- Work with Operations to understand the fully absorbed costs for network build, including labour, planning and contractor spend. Identifying the key drivers or increase spend.
- Improve fixed asset tracking, monitoring asset repairs and movements
- Support implementation of new accounting software (MS Dynamics), including analysing and transferring cost data between systems. Focusing on the structure of the chart of accounts, and the ability to automate cost reporting
- Incorporate the tracking of build projects against budget within MS Dynamics and Power BI
- Review the purchase to pay process, ensuring fewer manual interventions and direct allocation of costs to build projects
- Review the tracking of internal labour, and how this can be incorporated into a timesheet tracking system
The experience we’re looking for you to bring:
- Newly qualified accountant (ACA, ACCA, CIMA)
- Strong academics, degree (2:1) or similar
- Experience in top 10 audit firm/professional services firm, large corporate or start-up
- In documenting or creating a costing methodology, in telecoms or other industries
- Calculating costs for monthly reporting cycle, and using these to drive efficiencies
Attributes & Skills
- Advanced Excel skills (pivots, power pivots, get and transform), knowledge of Power BI, and foundational programming would be an advantage
- Ambitious, keen to get hands on experience in a fast-changing scale-up environment
- Ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Interest in technology industry
Why join us:
- You get to work with some of the best technology in the market
- Be part of an exciting scale up business where you can bring your ideas, bring your knowledge, we value your contribution
- We all love time off whether that’s going on an exotic holiday or a staycation, you’ll get 25 days holiday to enjoy, increasing by 1 day for each year of service up to 28 days
- Birthday leave, our treat to you
- Keen cyclist, join our cycle to work scheme
- Enjoy the perks of Vitality health
- You get to work with an amazing bunch of people
What happens next:
You’ve done your bit so sit back and relax, we will review your application and come back to you.
If we think you’re not quite right for the role you have applied for but may be a better fit for another, we’ll definitely let you know.
Want to know more about a career at CFL, check out our careers page: https://communityfibre.co.uk/jobs
We are an equal opportunities employer that values diversity in our team, we welcome applications from all backgrounds.