Hi there! Thanks for stopping by our job advert.
We’re Community Fibre and our mission is to bring better internet to everyone. You won’t find any old and slow copper technology here. Our network, which we own and have built, is 100% full fibre. We install it directly into our business customer’s premises and into our consumer’s homes. We provide market leading broadband speeds, at the best prices with a real focus on customer experience - we are consistently the No1 Internet Service Provider on Trustpilot as rated by customers. And as a result we are growing fast.
We are passionate and love working with local communities … the clue is in our name. We want to bridge the digital divide in society and make Gigafast internet accessible to all. We also love it when local residents become team members of Community Fibre - over 20% of our talent is from communities that we serve.
We are not the new kid on the block, we were established in 2013 and have been disrupting the Broadband industry in London since then. Some recent key achievements include:
- We raised £400m investment in 2020 from large institutions to secure our ambitious growth plans.
- We have acquired over 500,000 wayleaves across Local Authorities, Housing Associations and Private Landlords in London to support that growth.
- We have deployed our 100% full fibre network to over 200,000 premises to deliver the growth, which is rapidly moving towards 1 million in 2023.
We’re proud of our achievements so far, but we are not complacent and definitely not stopping here. To help us get to our future, we’re looking for forward thinkers, people with big ideas, people passionate about technology and most importantly hard working team players to join us and be a part of our growing business.
- The Systems Infrastructure Engineer is responsible developing, maintaining, improving, and supporting complex environments encompassing networks, end user devices, servers, applications alongside both on prem and cloud platforms.
- You will work with the NetOPS Team and be responsible for building new servers / systems as well as ensuring that all our existing ones are maintained, reliable and resilient.
- The role covers both backend systems engineering, infrastructure, and site reliability engineering within Networks.
- You should be hungry for hands-on experience, have a desire to think outside of the box and have strong understanding in Systems /Infrastructure as well as having a programming background.
- You will help scale our Engineering function at an exciting time in Community Fibre’s growth.
What you'll be doing:
You will be responsible for providing 3rd-4th line support, design solutions to time, cost and quality and creating proven best practices.
- Create, improve, and maintain automation scripts to increase system efficiency and reduce repetitive manual tasks.
- Manage and maintain existing Linux based servers, both on-prem and cloud hosted, including management of security patches, distribution upgrades and configuration management, systems/codebases, installation/configuration/operation of the applications running on the servers.
- Network, Devops, Systems aptitude. The skill to take a new technology, research it, test it in the lab and deploy it live.
- Provide guidance and mentoring to other engineers, supporting the design, implementation and troubleshooting when required.
- Take part of the on-call rotation at the 3rd-4th line support level.
The experience we’re looking for you to bring:
The Engineer should have a minimum of 5 years of experience working in a Systems Infrastructure engineering environment.
- Advanced understanding of Linux.
- Configuration Management Systems – Puppet / Ansible
- Source Control - Github, GitLab
- Scripting Python, Java
- Containerisation - Docker / Kubernetes
- Exposure to at least one network configuration protocol (NETCONF, REST-CONF, YANG).
- Development of provisioning playbooks using a templating system (Jinja2) is a plus
- Experience with both cloud and physical infrastructure: Proxmox, KVM, VMware, AWS
- Experience with container management solutions such as Docker, Kubernetes
- Databases – PostgreSQL / MySQL
- Application and network security best practices – SSH / Iptables / TLS
- Experience implementing technologies with a focus on operability, reliability, and scalability.
- Development of REST APIs using a web framework (Flask preferred) – Desirable.
- CI/CD and DevOps Tools / principles
- Network skills - Desirable
Why join us:
- You get to work with some of the best technology in the market
- Be part of an exciting scale up business where you can bring your ideas, bring your knowledge, we value your contribution
- We all love time off whether that’s going on an exotic holiday or a staycation, you’ll get 25 days holiday to enjoy, increasing by 1 day for each year of service up to 28 days
- Birthday leave, our treat to you
- Keen cyclist, join our cycle to work scheme
- Flexible WFH policy
- Enjoy the perks of Vitality health
- You get to work with an amazing bunch of people
What happens next:
You’ve done your bit so sit back and relax, we will review your application and come back to you.
If we think you’re not quite right for the role you have applied for but may be a better fit for another, we’ll definitely let you know.
Want to know more about a career at CFL, check out our careers page: https://communityfibre.co.uk/jobs
We are an Armed Forces friendly organisation.
We are an equal opportunities employer that values diversity in our team, we welcome applications from all backgrounds.